Kurunegala
Kurunegala

Kurunegala is the royal capital for only half a century, starting with the reign of Buvanekabahu II (1293-1302) who was followed by Parakramabahu IV (1302-1326).There is little left of the Tooth relic temple save few stone steps and part of doorway.

 


Nearby are three earlier capitals - Panduvasnuwara (north - west) with remains of a moated palace and monasteries from the 12th century, Dambadeniya (south - west, mid-13th century), and Yapahuwa (north).

Today, Kurunegala is an important cross - roads  town, astride the route from Kandy to the Puttalam and Colombo to Anuradapura. It enjoys a pleasant location overlooked by huge rocky outcrops some of which have  been given names of the animals they resemble:- elephant rock, tortoise rock etc. According to a legend, when during drought, the animals threatened the city's water supply, they were magically turned into  stone, Situated at the foot of the 325km black rock Etagala there are excellent views of across the lake from the Top. It is also within easy reach of a few sites which are not very  often visited. 

Back